11.23.2011

Tampa Bay Stars

So I spent the last 3 weeks in Tampa after a long month of October not doing much sailing. I sailed a Finn for the first 4 days, it was great conditions flat water and a nice 10 to 15 knot breeze. I was gearing up for my first Finn event coming up in New Orleans mid December.

Then it was time to get going in the Star we had 2 days of training prior to the start of the North Americans. Unfortuantly when the event started the wind stoped and the first two and half days of the event were plagued with light wind to no wind at all. The conditions where marginal for sailing at all and on day two we had a huge let down when we lost 20 boats in one leg. Brian and I were a little discouraged but we knew that we were sailing well and just needed to keep working to move up the standings. In the last 4 races of the event which were sailed in better breeze we had 3 top ten finishes a 10 a 6 and 3 this was good enough to move us into 9th place a recpectable result coming back from a very disappointing race 2.

Star sailing continues to be my favorite one design sailing. Much of this has to do with the people that populate the class and my crew Brian Sharp. Brian and I have spent a lot of days on the water together - the improvement from day one has been huge. Everytime I go star sailing all I think about when the event is over is the next Star event I can sail.

No comments: